Friday, April 05, 2013

Friday Loose Bloggers Consortium: Finality

I have been reading a fascinating book called "Proof of Heaven" by Eben Alexander M.D.  This is an account of his own personal near death experience.  The most interesting aspect of his account is that he is by profession a neurosurgeon, who previously discounted near death experiences by his patients.  He attributed their experiences to brain activity caused by the trauma of the health crisis they were experiencing. But his own experience was much different, because his health condition prohibited any such brain activity.  As an expert, he realized afterwards that he shouldn't have had any of the brain activity it would have required to have experienced what he saw and heard.  I don't want to give too much away in case you do read the book, but suffice it to say that he had other proof that what he experienced was real.

Reading this book has reminded me that, as I have always believed, death is not the final act.  Death is merely the passing from one existence to the next.  I also strongly believe that those who have passed are closer than we realize.  Having just celebrated Easter, this message of eternal life is still fresh in my mind.  While there may come a final day in our mortal life, there will not be a final day of our eternal soul.

Finally, check out what the other consortium members have to say about "finality".  :)


RummuserAnuAshkokGaelikkaGrannymarPadmumMagpie11, andAkanksha,Will KnotMaria the Silver FoxAnkiNema Noor Paul Plain Joe, and RohitBlack watertownThe Old Fossil, our newest member MAXI! and last, but not least SHACKMAN! :)



6 comments:

Shackman said...

But D - surely death does signal finality to the first plane of existence doesn't it?

Sounds like an interesting read - I'll check it out.

Delirious said...

Yes Shackman, you are right about that. :)

Grannymar said...

The older I grow, the less I am convinced that there is a hereafter.

Delirious said...

You should read the book Grannymar, it might change your mind. :)

Myself on the other hand, the older I get the more I believe in a hereafter. I've seen way too much evidence of my own.

Rummuser said...

As a Vedantin, I know that death is not the end but a shifting of gear as it were to a different momentum. There is no finality in Vedanta.

The Old Fossil said...

My own belief grows from my personal experience. Long winded cut short, my beliefs are consistent with yours, D.