Thursday, April 30, 2009

You Have the Right to Remain Silent




















Today there was a knock on my door, and I thought it was a neighbor dropping by, but it turned out to be a woman holding a badge. She introduced herself and told me she was from the FBI. I have to tell you, that badge was really impressive. Immediately I wondered if my crazy neighbor had turned me in for something. But for the life of me, I couldn't think of anything I had done wrong that would warrant the FBI coming.

You know how when you are under stress your mind goes a million miles a second? You have more thoughts in those split seconds than you could ever imagine you would be able to think. My mind was racing trying to think of any possible crime I had committed. My first thought was that my dog had gotten out again and he had complained about that. But in the next split second I remembered again that the FBI doesn't deal with dog complaints. We are having a remodel, so I wondered if the crazy neighbor had complained about the noise. But that wouldn't warrant the FBI either. Then she asked if I knew one of my neighbors. In the next split second I wondered what that neighbor had done wrong. But then I realized why the agent was on my front porch. My neighbor works in a government secure job, and has to renew her security clearance every year or so. As part of her clearance, they interview her neighbors. She has asked me in years past to be a reference for her, but they have never come talk to me. This is the first time they have talked to me.

The agent asked me a lot of questions about my neighbor but I didn't have anything juicy to answer. This neighbor is pretty straight arrow. But then she did ask me if there were any other neighbors that she could interview. I told her that if she went to the crazy neighbor's house, that she should interview his wife, not him. I explained to her that he is a little crazy and OCD. She did go there, but I can't tell you anymore about her visit there. That's top secret. :P

No comments: