Friday, May 31, 2013

Friday Loose Bloggers Consortium: Tomorrow

One of the things I've discovered about living abroad is that the future can be very unstable.  Even if an "expat" has a determined time limit for their stay abroad, there is always the possibility that things might be cut short, or that the time could be lengthened.  There is also the question about how things might change in the company during their absence.  Control freaks would not do well in an expat position.  Yes, we can always make our own decisions about our life, but there is still a feeling of impermanence in our living situation.

Another part about living abroad is that we can't plan too much for tomorrow.  In our church, we have a practice of storing a supply of food.  Living abroad creates problems with doing that.  In China, it's difficult to find storage materials.  But in addition, knowing that we won't be here forever, we don't want to invest too much in food we most likely won't use, and will have to leave behind.  I try to keep a certain amount of food on hand anyway, but not as much as I would in America.  We also don't really feel that we can put down roots here.  Even this very apartment could suddenly become unavailable for rent at any time.  I'm even starting to look at craft projects differently, because I have realized that if I really like what I make, I have to figure out a way to take it back home when we eventually leave China.  So everything we do here is for living today, not for tomorrow.

Having said that, we do spend a lot of time planning for our life after we return to the States.  We have thought out several different scenarios.  We still aren't sure when that will happen, but we are studying out our options, and thinking about what we really want.  I also think a great deal about future gardens I will plant, future purchases of things I want, and future craft projects.

None of us really know what tomorrow will bring, but it is fun to dream about the possibilities.  We can approach the future with fear and trepidation, or with the excitement of great possibilities.  All it takes is a little dreaming and planning.  All it takes is a little faith.

Let's pop over and see what the other consortium members have said about "tomorrow".
RummuserAnuAshkokGaelikka, Grannymar PadmumMagpie11, andAkanksha,Will KnotMaria the Silver FoxAnkiNema Noor Paul Plain Joe, and RohitBlack watertownThe Old Fossil, our newest member MAXI! and last, but not least SHACKMAN! :)

10 comments:

Shackman said...

None of us really know what tomorrow will bring, but it is fun to dream about the possibilities.

M
ethinks that is the essence of your post and I heartily concur!!!

Rummuser said...

Ditto Shackman. I will however add that I will also have fun today.

Maria said...

Hi Delirious,

This is all good. I don't think much about putting down roots in India as I dream of coming back to Ireland one day. But I supppose it depends where my children build their life.

Mx

Delirious said...

Maria, I dream of going to IReland some day too. :)

The Old Fossil said...

The LDS sents roots all directions. Deep into the past with their ancestry data; deep into the future with missionary work. You are part of a real group of time travelers!

Grannymar said...

I have a friend who loves to remind people that none of us are promised tomorrow, and for some, not even the remainder of today! I live for today and hope for tomorrow.

dixiegrandma said...

I hope you come live in Utah when you are finished with your stay in China, but do keep living each day fully and enjoy what you are doing.

Max Coutinho said...

Hi D,

It is a constant feeling of impermanence...

It is a new experience and like mystics say: learn from it and breathe :).

Keep your faith.

Cheers



Maxi said...

You know D, I don't think the future is stable for any of us.

Someone told me long ago: I don't know what the future holds but I know Who holds the future.

I believe that.

blessings ~ maxi

padmum said...

Absolutely spot on--if we can retain the excitement and joy of a better, more glorious dawn then the fears of the night and tomorrows will evaporate like mists do in the rays of the sun!