Friday, June 07, 2013

Friday Loose Bloggers Consortium: National Healthcare VS. Private

I must start this post by saying that I am not an expert on national healthcare, but I do have more experience than most Americans.  I would also like to say that I am extremely conservative, and would prefer to call it "socialized healthcare".  Having said that, I really don't tend to argue the point, but I just wanted to let you know where I'm coming from.

I think I should start by saying that socialized medicine does offer many benefits.  First, and probably the main benefit that comes from a socialized health care system, is that everyone gets coverage.  That's a nice thought.  The other benefit from Obamacare in particular is that adult children are covered until they are 25, and people cannot be excluded because of pre-existing conditions.  Those are the only benefits that I see.

At this point though, I must add that in America, it is illegal for an emergency room to refuse care if the person cannot afford to pay for it.  I have spent many hours in the emergency rooms (taking other people there), and have seen first hand that they are full of those who can't afford to pay, including illegal immigrants.  These people actually are getting healthcare, and are getting it free.  There are also many government clinics that provide healthcare to those who have no income.  There actually does exist healthcare for all.

I see many flaws in a socialized healthcare program, as compared to the health care we have lived with in America.  In particular, the Obamacare program seems to be not well organized, and will be difficult to implement.  It is so complicated that even the top government officials don't know what all it contains.  And let's face it, our government doesn't have a good track record of managing anything.  In addition, the costs for those who already have health insurance are going to sky rocket.  It is estimated that my own health care costs will go up 80% with the implementation of Obamacare.  Basically, it is a "take from the rich and give to the poor" program.  But my concerns go even deeper than that.

I have lived in China for a few years (total), and have experienced their health care first hand.  What I have experienced is that the overall medical care is inferior.  Some might argue that this is just because I am in a second/third world country.  But I am speaking about the actual way that the care is administered.  In a government run program, people become a number instead of a person.  Practitioners are overworked and underpaid.  In addition, the actual care tends to become "rote", and the caregiver is more concerned about getting on to the next patient than spending more time with the present one.  I have a number of current health problems, but I am waiting until I go home to America to see my personal physician.

I think that a modified system would work better in the American culture.  I don't think Obamacare is the answer.  I think the HMO type systems really do work better, but they cost money!  If people can't afford to pay for it themselves, then we have to rely on taxes to pay for it.  And that brings us back to the mess we are currently in.  In addition, it does remove some of the economic competition, so care level often goes down.  It's a complicated issue that is difficult even for the most educated on the subject, much less for a bureaucratic government to try to comprehend.  Let's let government stick to governing, and come up with a different way to run our health care program.

I'm sure that if you don't agree with my summation that you can find a different opinion from some of our consortium members.  I don't intend on arguing this subject, so if you disagree, please check out their blogs and see if there is someone who agrees with you.  :)

RummuserAnuAshkokGaelikkaGrannymar PadmumMagpie11, andAkanksha,Will KnotMaria the Silver FoxAnkiNema Noor Paul Plain Joe, and RohitBlack watertownThe Old Fossil, our newest member MAXI! and last, but not least SHACKMAN! :)

9 comments:

Vid said...

I never understood health insurance because it seems to cover all sorts of mundane, day-to-day medical expenses. Other types of insurance only kick in when something catastrophic happens, like your house burning down or a car crash. Having insurance is not going to net a profit for most people; otherwise the companies would go out of business.

Mike Goad said...

I quite agree with your assessment on Obamacare. I'm hoping that the impact will be minimal on us as our insurance is through a major corporation that is "self-insured," and, thus, is supposed to escape the worst of the "Affordable Care Act" implementation.

Of course, our premiums, both that paid for by us and that paid for by the company, more than pay for our normal health care, year-to-year, and that is the way it is for most people, which is why the insurance companies make money. But when the need is for care that is quite extensive or expensive, that's when having insurance really pays.

Shackman said...

Funny how you lump Obamacare into the socialized medicine group. But since you do not want any dissent I'll just let it drop :-)

Grannymar said...

I don't know enough about the US system to comment.

Delirious said...

I don't mind dissent Shackman, but I won't argue. lol

Rummuser said...

To my mind what strikes is the fact, yes fact, that there is no perfect system anywhere in the world. I suppose that at some time in the future we will get a workable model but for the present, we are all bungling our way through many models and not happy with any.

Frank B Smith said...

I find it a curious argument that we have everyone covered by 'healthcare' because emergency rooms can not refuse care. ER is after the fact. True health care involves keeping people out of emergency rooms, which can be the most expensive health care delivery system.

Max Coutinho said...

Hi D,

As I told Rummuser, in his blog, Portugal has an excellent public health care and a so and so expensive private health care (in fact, most rich people use the public health care system for its quality).

There is a caveat in an European health care system: it is not free for everybody; only to those who are exempt (based on their income). But yes, it is much cheaper than in America (for example).

I will repeat here what I told in Rummy's article (on the same theme):
Although I am in favour of a public health care, I defend a reform of the system because as it is things are not sustainable.
The whole welfare state as it is, in Europe, is beginning to prove itself unsustainable.

Great article.

Cheers

padmum said...

"people cannot be excluded because of pre-existing conditions"

This is a real insurance rip off--they can blame any major illness on an existing condition. Sadly the companies running both hospitals and insurance cannot be fought against.