Sunday, April 03, 2011

Discussing Religion

I consider myself very well educated in my religious beliefs. But frankly, I'm not that educated about the beliefs of other religions. My own beliefs make so much sense, and fit together so well like puzzle pieces, that I forget that others don't believe the same as me. I make a comment on someone's blog, forgetting that not everyone believes in, for example, repentance, or the judgment. I did that today, and I really don't want to get in an argument with anyone, but in some ways I feel I need to explain my beliefs. Sometimes I think I should study more about other religions, but I'm so pragmatic that I feel like if I have time to study religion, I should spend it studying my own!

Blogging has helped me to meet people of other faiths, and have good discussions with them. I have learned more about how the rest of the Christian world thinks through discussing religion with my blogger friends. Sometimes I have felt that I was being attacked, but even then, their comments to me gave me insight to their religious beliefs. Sometimes I, myself get too zealous in speaking about my own beliefs. But I really am trying to overcome any sort of disposition to argue or get angry, because I believe that how we discuss religion says as much about us as what we believe. I really do want to be an "example of the believers", and not one of those who attacks and tells everyone who doesn't believe the same as them that they are going to hell. And yes, I've been told that before.

I know many people say that you should never discuss politics or religion. Maybe that's true in some settings. But frankly, that's what I love most to discuss! :)

2 comments:

Rummuser said...

Delirious, there is absolutely nothing wrong, in my opinion, in having differing religious beliefs. What I think is wrong is in believing that my religion is the only true religion and all other religions are false. If we can learn to accept that the end is one and the paths are different, not better or worse, we will have a peaceful world. I enjoy discussing religion but dislike fanaticism.

Grannymar said...

I often use my hands when talking about differing religious beliefs. I have ten individual fingers, but the blood flow in them all leads back to the one heart.