Saturday, October 10, 2009

Fleet Week 2009

We went to the city for fleet week today. My second son went with a friend to Great America for his birthday, and my youngest son went on a hike with the Boy Scouts, so my husband, oldest son and I went to the city. The Navy ships come in to port, and the Blue Angels fly over the city. As it turned out, they only made two passes over the city, then deemed it too dangerous to continue. I was surprised because I heard they called it because of fog, but I didn't see much fog. As you can see by my pictures, it was a very clear day. This first picture is of Coit Tower. The picture with the red tugboat is of Alcatraz. You can see that it was clear enough to get a good picture of Alcatraz. Maybe the air currents were unsafe. I'm not sure which group of jets are pictured in the group of four, but the last picture is a Blue Angel. We didn't mind too much not seeing more of the Blue Angels because we were able to see some other air stunts. For me, 50% of the enjoyment of seeing the jets is hearing them! It is an eery feeling to have them come from behind though because they are faster than the speed of sound, so you don't hear them until they are right on you!
There were so MANY people in the city today! There were also so MANY ships and sailboats in the harbor! You can see below some of the pictures from the parade of ships.
We walked all the way from Pier 1 past Pier 39. The weather was nice, but that is still a good walk. We are really tired tonight, but it was a fun day!







3 comments:

Inklings said...

That truly is a beautiful city! Great pictures, thanks for sharing. We can pretend for a second that we were with you. :0)

my word verification was waterre - water and earth?

Lindsay Logic said...

I need to come visit your city one of these days! It looks like such a fun place!

Amber said...

I love that big white boat with all the flag bunting on it - how pretty! That sounds like it was a fun day!