Thursday, October 15, 2009

Age Progression

In connection with my last post, I wanted to write a little about Jaycee Dugard. A current photo was released of her today. Years ago, after she was kidnapped, authorities used a computer to do age progression for how they thought she would look as a teenager. I decided to put them side by side and see if the age progression really did look like her. Here are the three photos: One of her in grade school, the middle one of her was the computer version of how they thought she would look, based on her school photo. The last is her current picture today. What do you think? Do you think the age progression photo would have helped to identify her? (Click on the photo to see it larger)

5 comments:

Amber said...

wow I really do! the hair color is off but I think that's because she was hidden inside, I think once she's out and about more it will probably lighten a little naturally - they really do work!!

Nene said...

I don't know, I'm terrible with faces, but I think she looks more like her little girl photo than the computer one.

Delirious said...

I'm with you Nene. I actually think that I wouldn't have been able to identify her with the computer picture. I can see that they used the eyes and mouth from the younger picture. I guess it is similar, but not close enough that I would have been able to tell it was her. I wonder if they learn lessons from this. Like, will they take in to account that the girl's hair might get darker as she aged? I don't think they recover that many, so this will probably help them improve their system.

Lindsay Logic said...

I don't really think the computer generated one is that great. I wonder why they don't take into account that most people's hair darkens with age? Weird. :)

Inklings said...

I wouldn't have recognized her with the computer one either. I am just glad she was found, and Elizabeth Smart, too. I remember Elizabeth's mother saying that she knew they would find Elizabeth because she had had a spiritual experience which let her know she was alive.

My word verification is tedneni and it reminded me of when Nene was young and played constantly with a neighbor boy named Teddy. :0)