Sunday, November 30, 2008

An Analogy About the Recent Persecutions

This analogy might seem odd, but hang with me, and I hope by the end you will see the connection.

Our last dog, Tommy, was a German Shepherd/ Doberman mix. He was a great dog, and a very good watch dog. He ONLY barked if someone was in front of our house. He was calm and easy going, unless he feared for our safety.

One day my husband was in our garage working on something, and our toddler was playing near him on the driveway. Tommy was laying quietly nearby. Suddenly, out of no where, a man came charging up our driveway delivering advertisements. You know those little bags with rocks inside that also include an advertisement for gardeners? This man was just making his normal rounds, and was walking very quickly up in to each driveway.

Tommy didn't know anything about advertisements, or gardeners. He only knew that the baby was playing on the driveway, and a man was charging up near him. He jumped up and bit the man on the knee. It wasn't a "I'm going to eat you alive" bite. It was a warning bite that didn't break the skin. My husband called Tommy back. But before he could even apoligize, the man started yelling and cursing. He yelled, "I'm going to go get a gun and come back and shoot that *$#% dog!"

At this point, my husband began to bristle a little. He said, "I'm sorry my dog bit you, but I don't appreciate your foul language and agressive behavior!" The man swore and took off down the street. My husband then turned to Tommy, patted him on the head and said, "Good dog".

You may wonder why he would praise the dog for biting someone. What I think is that dogs know more about people than we do. They sense things that we can't sense. Tommy was trying to protect his family from someone that he sensed as a threat. He sensed something more about this man than we did. We as humans tend to ignore our gut instincts much of the time, and give people the benefit of a doubt. But animals see through all the pretense. Am I glad my dog bit someone? No, but I'm glad he was watching out for us.

Recently with all of the persecution by the supporters of same sex marriage, I keep thinking about this experience with my dog. As I see these pretended supporters of "tolerance", and pretended haters of "bigotry" launch attacks on simple law abiding citizens who voted their conscience in this last election, I can't help but say to myself, "Wow, I'm glad I voted against same sex marriage." My original gut instincts were right. So I pat myself on the back and say, "Good vote."

5 comments:

Me said...

Hmm. Not sure about the connection here Delirious.

If I understand correctly your saying that your dog , acting on instinct, bit an innocent guy who was delivering advertising material to your house and this is like you voting against same sex marriage?

Hang on.... maybe your right ....

Delirious said...

lol bunc...

I think the connection came in my dog's instincts being right...and my own instincts being right. :P

deputymomof6 said...

Good choice. And if it makes you feel better, I still rely on my gut instinct more than anything, especially when I am working. :)

Dee Ice Hole said...

Well if your new dog gets the same instincts---she will also protect and love---but I guarentee the skin will be broken if she bites---that's just the way Airdales work....

Max Coutinho said...

Hey D!

Tommy did well in defending his family! He must have been quite a dog! Plus there was a baby on the driveway, so he played safe!

The persecutors story reminds me of people who are against violence, and to fight it they do so through violence...odd, huh?

Cheers