Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Power of Advertising

I was driving with my 9 year old today and we both decided to eat a cereal bar. I have been sort of health conscious lately, so said, "I wonder how much fiber these have in them. Hmm...not that much. I need to find foods that have more fiber." He turned to me and said, "Oh, buy those fiber packets." I said, "Fiber packets?" He said, "Yes, they are packets that have more fiber than just about anything else. You can pour them in any liquid and they don't have any taste at all." He told me of all the benefits of the fiber packets. This is a nine year old. This is a nine year old who doesn't buy fiber, doesn't use fiber packets, probably isn't even sure exactly what fiber is. He has never even seen a fiber packet, nor read the back of the package. But I know what he is talking about. I have seen the commercials too. It's pretty scary that 9 year old, who doesn't even seem to be paying attention to the commercials, knows all about the products that are being sold.

1 comment:

Native Minnow said...

The worst part is that I like to think that I'm not affected by advertising, but I know that I am.