Saturday, June 16, 2007

Epitaphs

Okay, I'm really not morbid, but I found this topic on the site I mentioned in my last post. I have always loved to read epitaphs, I'm not sure why. I find them extremely interesting. Of course, just like everyone else, my husband and I often tell each other that if the other dies, we will put "I told you so" on their tombstone. Here are some epitaphs that I read from the site that I liked:

A tomb now suffices for him
whom the world was not enough (Alexander the Great)


No Man Is Indispensable
But Some Are Irreplaceable (Wallace Beery)

If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. (Rupert Brooke)

Steel True,
Blade Straight (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)


Like the Cover of an old Book
Its Contents turn out
And Stript of its Lettering & Guilding
Lies here. Food for Worms
For, it will as he believed
appear once more
In a new and more elegant Edition
corrected and improved
By the Author (Benjamin Franklin)


Shed not for her the bitter tear
Nor give the heart to vain regret
Tis but the casket that lies here
The gem that filled it sparkles yet
(Myra Maybelle Shirley "Belle" Starr)

No comments: