Friday, January 26, 2007

Blinders

Have you ever noticed that some people can't learn certain things because they believe they can't? When I was single, I taught Chinese at the Missionary Training Center of our Church. I got in some older missionaries, they were in their 70's. They were at a point in their lives where they were used to being the teacher, not the student, and they had an extremely difficult time learning. Part of the problem was their fear of learning something new. They stressed over every detail instead of taking in the big picture.

I just got off the phone with another older woman with the same problem. She and I both attend the same monthly history club. (Daughters of the Utah Pioneers) She needed to give me something that she had written to email to the women who belong to our club. She called me up and asked directions to my house. She lives in a neighboring city. It would take her atleast 20 minutes to get to my house, so I suggested she just email it to me. She has such computer phobia that this sent her in to terror. I told her it is very simple and I would walk her through the process. She took careful notes. It seemed like she was double checking ever letter she wrote. She would write what I told her, then check and double check to make sure she had it right. Finally we finished our conversation and I waited to see if she could do it. Well, today she called back and told me she was having problems. I stayed on the phone with her and walked her through it step by step. It is always unfathomable to me when I meet people who don't know how to copy and paste. But I explained in great detail how to do it.

She didn't know what she was looking at, even though I would describe things to her. For some reason, she couldn't figure out how to copy and paste, so I had her insert the document. I wasn't even sure it had attached because she didn't know how to tell. I just went on faith that she had done things right. I just checked my email, IT WORKED! lol

It' s funny how we put blinders on ourselves. Our fears and feelings of inadequacy convince us that we are incapable of learning. In reality, most of us have a good brain, and can learn just as easily as the next person. I know that I do this to some extent. I'm trying to remove those blinders and feelings of insecurity. Once we believe we can learn, the whole world is open to us.

No comments: