Sunday, September 24, 2006

Start Where You Stand

I remember a saying that I have heard all my life. I'm not sure where it comes from, but it seems to me that it may have been the title of a talk. I did a search but couldn't find the source. But the saying is, "Start where you stand".

To me this saying has many applications. It can relate to if we are learning a new skill, or talent. We have to start from where we are and move ahead tenasciously and deliberately. We can't expect immediate perfection. As the old saying goes, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

I also think of this saying with tasks that I have to accomplish. I think of it when doing housecleaning. Sometimes I get overwhelmed by all that needs to be done, but if I remind myself to start where I stand, I can begin to move forward productively. I often think of this saying when I"m on the phone. I look around and see what I can do while I am talking to someone on the phone. I try to multi-task, and start from where I am sitting. I realized the other day that I spend a fair amount of time in my car taking kids to school and picking them up. I decided to buy a bottle of windex and a container of cleaning wipes so that while I am waiting I can clean the windows in the car and clean the dash board. Sounds silly, but I'm trying to accomplish something from where I stand...or sit.

One of the best applications of this saying relates to where we stand as people. If we want to make a change in our lives, we have to start from where we are. Too many people look at the end result and get discouraged if they aren't there already. But if we are going to change to become what is an ideal for us, we have to start from where we are now.

1 comment:

GoodyMom1 said...

to quote keith green:

"you can run to the end of the highway and come back no better than before. no, to find yourself you've got to start right here."