Sunday, September 10, 2006

Sabbath Thoughts

I really believe in having a Sabbath. That is the one day when I like to try to take myself out of the world. I'm not always good at it, but that is my goal. I think we need a break once in awhile from the television, the news, the stores etc. We need one day when we can focus on spiritual things.
Today I have many scriptures and hymns running through my head. I love poetry, and some scripture and hymns are beautiful poetry. I just wanted to jot down a few of my favorite here that I have been thinking about today.
Isaiah 53: 4, 5
"Surely he hathe borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows; yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."

Alma 5:14, 26
"And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye exeperienced this mighty change in your hearts? ...And now behold, I say unto you my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?"

Helaman 5:12
"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."

Hymn: O Savior, Thou Who Wearest a Crown
O Savior, thou who wearest
A crown of piercing thorn,
The pain thou meekly bearest,
Weigh’d down by grief and scorn.
The soldiers mock and flail thee;
For drink they give thee gall;
Upon the cross they nail thee
To die, O King of all.

2. No creature is so lowly,
No sinner so depraved,
But feels thy presence holy
And thru thy love is saved.
Tho craven friends betray thee,
They feel thy love’s embrace;
The very foes who slay thee
Have access to thy grace.

3. Thy sacrifice transcended
The mortal law’s demand;
Thy mercy is extended
To ev’ry time and land.
No more can Satan harm us,
Tho long the fight may be,
Nor fear of death alarm us;
We live, O Lord, thru thee.

4. What praises can we offer
To thank thee, Lord most high?
In our place thou didst suffer;
In our place thou didst die,
By heaven’s plan appointed,
To ransom us, our King.
O Jesus, the anointed,
To thee our love we bring!

Text: Karen Lynn Davidson,

Okay, this one really needs to be sung to be appreciated, but having the words here reminds me of the song, so I want to include it. This is one of my all time favorites, which also happened to be a favorite of Pope John Paul. I wasn't quite sure how to write it in a poetry form, so just wrote it in paragraph form.

Oh Divine Redeemer by Charles Gounod

Ah! Turn me not away, receive me tho’ unworthy; Ah! Turn me not away, receive me tho’ unworthy, hear Thou my cry, hear Thou my cry, behold Lord my distress. Answer me from Thy throne, haste Thee Lord to mine aid. Thy pity shew, in my deep anguish. Thy pity shew in my deep anguish. Let not the sword of vengeance smite me, though righteous Thine anger oh Lord, shield me in danger! O regard me, on Thee Lord alone will I call! O divine Redeemer, O divine Redeemer, I pray Thee grant me pardon, and remember not, remember not my sins. Forgive me, O divine Redeemer! I pray Thee grant me pardon and remember not, remember not O Lord my sins. Night gathers round my soul, fearful I cry to Thee! Come to mine aid, O Lord! Haste Thee Lord, haste to help me! O hear my cry! Hear my cry! Save me Lord in Thy mercy, hear my cry; hear my cry, come and save me, O Lord! O Divine Redeemer! O Divine Redeemer! I pray Thee grant me pardon and remember not, remember not O Lord my sins. Save in the day of retribution; from death shield Thou me O my God! O Divine Redeemer! Have mercy, help me my Savior.

No comments: