Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Everyone Has a Story

I've often thought that I could be a talk show host. I really like to get to know people, and have so many questions I would like to ask. However, it's not socially acceptable to be too nosey, so I hold back many of the questions that I would like to ask. There is so much you can learn about people when you dig a little deeper than the surface.

I have a book that I would like to write some day. I already have a title. I want to title it, "Everyone Has a Story". So often I meet someone who seems plain and normal, but as I get to know them, I find out fascinating things about them.

I was with a group of women one day discussing this topic. I told them my idea for the book. As we were discussing this topic, another woman we know came over. In the course of asking how she was doing, she casually mentioned that she had gotten married at 15, and was widowed at 16. Her husband had been working under a car when it somehow fell on him. She had one child already, but was able to marry again and have 5 more children. One of the women in the group, who previously thought she knew this woman well, expressed surprise that she had never heard about that before. I re-emphasized the fact that people have so many stories to tell, you never know what you will learn. I said, "You meet someone and then you find out they have a family member who is quadrapalegic or something.". Another woman across the table looked at me and simply said, "Parapalegic." I said, "Parapalegic?". She said, "Yes, my sister is parapalegic." I had to fight the urge to thank her for making my point.

I hope that those who know me will forgive me for my nosiness and occassionally throw me a bone...a small interesting tidbit about their life. They can keep the private things to themselves, but I would like to hear about events and situations that influenced them to become the person they are. After all, the possibilty of me ever getting the chance to host a talk show is slight.

2 comments:

GoodyMom1 said...

I'm also nosy, although i prefer to call myself curious, interested, or concerned, as the case merits. ;-)

I love knowing all about people, and am always sharing of myself as well, so much so that it surprises me at times what people don't already know.

Anonymous said...

And I wish people would stop telling me their secret lives. I like people better BEFORE I know their secrets. People tell me everything. They tell my sister even more.