Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday Loose Bloggers Consortium: Can Men Cook Daily Meals?

When I first was married, I really couldn't cook very well.  My mother couldn't cook very well, but really didn't even teach me what she did know.  I had taken homemaking classes that taught me the mechanics, but really to be a good cook, you need good recipes.  I think the test of a truly good cook is someone who can make up their own recipes!  But either way, I wasn't a good cook.  But my husband loves food, so he pushed me to learn how to cook good food.  I think I'm a pretty good cook, but some things I don't cook well, and Chinese food is one of them.  But my husband is an excellent Chinese food cook!  He attributes this to all of the experience he has had eating good Chinese food.  He could be right, because his food always tastes great!

I think in these days men aren't always taught how to cook.  Even women aren't taught to cook, and so most people rely on fast food, or convenience food to eat.  In America, you can buy all kinds of prepared frozen food that only needs a minute or two in the microwave.  That is not really cooking in my opinion.  But I think young boys should be taught to cook, because it is a very useful skill.  And a high percentage of chef today are men. 

Some of my sons have learned to cook, and others have resisted learning.  My one son has even made things such as kimchi and pupusas.  He can pretty much cook anything his tongue desires.  My other son is now living on his own, and is forced to learn how to cook for himself.  His future wife will thank him for that.  My youngest son isn't afraid to learn to cook, and I push him to cook things for himself.  He may not be a gourmet chef, but he can make an edible meal.

I'm lucky that my husband is a good cook.  He actually likes to cook if I do the preparation.  So I think of myself as the sous chef, and him as the main chef whenever we eat Chinese food.  I do all the chopping, and he steps in and works the magic.  Over the years we have learned how to work together well, and we work like a well oiled machine in the kitchen.  We've come a long way in our cooking abilities from when we were first married.  I cook much better now, but it sure is nice to have my husband help!

Check out what's cooking with the other consortium members:  (Shackman posted news that he is leaving the consortium, but I'm keeping his name on the list in the hopes that he will have a change of heart.  :) 
Rummuser, Anu, Ashkok, Gaelikka, Grannymar , Padmum, Magpie11, andAkanksha,Will Knot, Maria the Silver Fox, Anki, Nema Noor Paul Plain Joe, and Rohit, Black watertown, The Old Fossil, our newest member MAXI! and last, but not least SHACKMAN! :)

2 comments:

Rummuser said...

I moved from being a hobby cook to a daily cook due to compulsions and have never regretted it. I think that it is a great creative endeavour and when the output is appreciated, it gives a glow like none other.

I maintain that too much is made of cooking. It is neither hard nor easy to learn if one is interested. With recipes available online for free, a little personal touch with the addition or deletion of ingredients can work wonders.

India is still a long way off from packaged food and we get everything fresh and that makes it possible to create healthy and tasty dishes.

Grannymar said...

A salad makes a very versatile meal with no cooking. You could eat a salad every day of the year, yet make it different and interesting by changing the type and colour of the vegetables each day.