Tuesday, October 21, 2014


Ever since I moved to Utah, I've had a terrible time with static electricity!  Everywhere I go, I'm getting shocked!  I notice it most when I go to the store.  I touch the grocery cart and get shocked.  I walk in and take hold of the refrigerator door to get some milk, and I get shocked.  I reach for a can on a shelf and accidentally touch the shelf and get shocked.  The worst is the self checkout.  I touch the computer screen and it shocks me the most!  The other day I was getting out of the car, and when I stepped on to the ground, my foot got shocked!  This happens all day long, and it gets really annoying!

In an effort to save myself, I put out a plea on Facebook for help.  I tried googling it, but I didn't know what to call it.  Anyway, my FB friends came to my rescue and told me what to do.  They even told me what to call it.  I googled it and got some great ideas.  I thought I would share them here:

1.  Don't wear rubber soled shoes.

I bought a pair of "Crocs" when I first moved to Utah, and they are totally made of rubber.  That doesn't allow the static electricity, that has built up in my body, to exit.  Leather soled shoes would be better.

2.  Ground yourself

When  you are getting out of the car, they suggest that before you lift yourself off the seat, you take hold of the metal outer side of the car.  This allows the energy that built up from the friction of the seat to exit your body before you break that connection.  I tried it, and it works.

3.  Try a key

Another tip, which I have found very useful, is to touch the metal object with a key that is held in your hand before touching anything metal.  That allows the electric charge to leave your body before you touch the object.  I have a weird car key that is plastic, so I carry a coin in my pocket, or use the metal band of my watch.  I think a ring would work too.

So there you go, those are my top tips for preventing static shock.  Since learning these tips, I've had a lot less shocking experiences in my life!  :)


Max Coutinho said...

Hi D,

Thanks for the tips, they are indubitably helpful.

Good to see that you are fine :D.


Rummuser said...

I am yet to experience this phenomenon! May be, it does not happen in India. If I do, I am sure that your tips will come in handy.

Euripides said...

It is shocking there, to say the least. I remember staying in the old Hotel Utah (years ago) and hated every minute of it because everything generated static electricity. I feel your pain.