Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Patchwork Day

It seems I haven't had much computer time lately.  I think part of the problem is that I don't have a computer desk set up.  I use my ipad, but haven't read many blogs lately, nor written any posts.  I seem to keep busy all day, so I guess that's good, but I feel like I need to drop in once in awhile and write.

Today I got a bee in my bonnet and decided to take my mother to the BYU art museum.  It's a small museum, but they had several nice exhibits.  One exhibit was of movie costumes.  They even had the outfit Johnny Depp wore in Pirates of the Caribbean, and a dress worn by Emma Thompson in "Howards End".  One of my secret unfulfilled passions is to be a costumer for plays or movies.  I don't know why it draws me so much; I'm not even a very good seamstress.  But I would love the chance to do it.

Another exhibit had to do with India.  They had a huge collection of special blankets from India and Pakistan.  The quilts were incredibly intricate!  I couldn't imagine all of the many hours of work that was put in to them.  They also had a "Vishnu" art collection.  It included many sculptures and other forms of art.

Of course they have a sort of permanent exhibit of religious art.  There is also an exhibit of American art.  I know they rotate some, but most of these must be on permanent loan.

After we finished there, we stopped by "Deseret Industries".  My mother and I are always looking for "treasures" at this church owned thrift store.  She has been making quilts, so has been looking for fabric to use for the backing.  We didn't have any luck finding anything today, but we have gotten quilt fabric for three quilts.  She has finished two, and is working on the third.  I think she likes having something to do, even though the last quilt was difficult to quilt, and she had to use a pair of pliers to get the needle through the fabric.  She also enjoys "picking" my garden, and will often go out to look for ripe vegetables.

I got another bee in my bonnet and decided to make some "fidget" books.  They are used by people who have dementia.  They had buttons and beads, and other things with which to "fidget".  My husband's sister's mother-in-law has advanced dementia, so I wanted to give one to her.  Also my Bishop's mother-in-law also has advanced dementia, so I'm making a second one for her.

So that's the patchwork day I've had.  A little of this, and a little of that.  That's kind of how my whole month has gone.  I'm a lot more busy than when I was in China.  That's a good thing.  :)

4 comments:

Rummuser said...

The Busy Bee With A Bee In The Bonnet. Apt name for you Delirious!

Inklings said...

I'm glad you are helping Mom to stay busy. I think she is happier when she has something to do.

Max Coutinho said...

Hi D,

It's good to be busy and I am glad that you are. That exhibition sounded really good and I love patchwork as well.

Continue to have fun, darling.

Cheers

Euripides said...

I've been by that museum. They usually have some nice exhibits.