Friday, January 10, 2014

New Age Dating

My friend that I wrote about in the last post is single.  She's 52 years old, like me, but has never been married.  She has tried meeting people online, but in every case, she has come across people who didn't tell her, until they met in person, that they were still married.  So she is disillusioned with the online method.  She's nice looking, and looks younger than she is, so I think she should be able to find someone easily, but I think maybe she just isn't in the right location. 

I was telling my Chinese cleaning lady about her.  Ling Ling immediately told me about a Chinese television show that helps people to find a date.  She said that they come on the show and tell about themselves, and then someone else offers to date them.  I guess this is a really popular show here in China because there are a lot of single people.  But what made me laugh was that Ling Ling promptly wrote the name of the show for me to share with my friend, and then wrote the telephone number from memory!  I guess there could be people in America who have the "American Idol" voting number memorized too.  It just made me laugh though.  :)

2 comments:

Rummuser said...

If your friend is Chinese, I am sure that she would have already assessed this television program for what it is worth. I have seen youtube uploads from singles which are pathetic attempts at selling themselves to prospective mates. It may come as a surprise to you that I have been approached by matrimonial portals to register with them! Nuts.

Delirious said...

Rummy, my friend is Taiwanese, so they have different programming. But I am not surprised they have come to you. You are a very eligible bachelor! :)