Wednesday, January 29, 2014

I'm a Sucker For "Free"

Here in China, when something is nearing it's shelf date, they give a free gift to encourage people to buy.  The most common product is yogurt.  The Chinese LOVE yogurt, and have whole aisles dedicated to yogurt products.  So when the yogurt is approaching it's expiration date, they tape a free bowl or cup or something to the top of the package.  Usually they tape two packages of 6 packs of yogurt together, and tape the free bowl on top.  My family loves yogurt, and yogurt milk, so even if I buy a double 6 pack, it won't go to waste.  I'm so bad that I often will buy the yogurt even if I hadn't planned to buy any, if there is something free taped to it.  I've amassed quite a collection of free things.  The picture below doesn't include all of the free things I've gotten in the past year and a half.  Some were accidentally broken.  Some are currently full of food.  Some are duplicates of things pictured here.  The silly thing is that I won't be taking any of this back to America with me, but I can't seem to stop collecting it!  Help!  I'm a "free gift" addict!  ;)
Can I just draw your attention to my latest acquisition, the candy bowl in back.  :D

2 comments:

dixiegrandma said...

I also love yogurt and recently have begun to make my own. All you need is fresh or powdered milk a heavy bottom pot and a candy thermometer or fluid thermometer of some sort and a picnic cooler or thermos jug big enough to hold a quart jar. You use plain yogurt from the store as the culture to add to the heated milk. I have a good recipe if y0u are interested.

Rummuser said...

I would love to collect freebies except that if something new comes into my home, something old has to get out. I simply do not have space!

I make my yoghurt every morning and we have it everyday.