Monday, December 30, 2013

The Year is Dying, Let Him Die

We have a church hymn that we usually sing this time of year.  Here are the lyrics:
Ring Out, Wild Bells
1. Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,
The flying cloud, the frosty light.
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.
2. Ring out the old; ring in the new.
Ring, happy bells, across the snow.
The year is going; let him go.
Ring out the false; ring in the true.
The year is going; let him go.
Ring out the false; ring in the true.
3. Ring in the valiant men and free,
The larger heart, the kindlier hand.
Ring out the darkness of the land;
Ring in the Christ that is to be.
Ring out the darkness of the land;
Ring in the Christ that is to be.

For some, the new year is an introspective time to review how the past year has gone.  I see many bloggers who give a run down of their past posts.  Frankly, I skip over these posts.  I read them the first time, and I don't need to review them.  And frankly, I am the kind of person who is constantly reviewing my life, so I don't really do that on New Year's eve.  I'm more interested in looking forward.  I'm more interested in planning what I will do this coming year.  The year is dying, let him die.  And I don't think that just because a year ends, that all of the bad things that happened during the year will stop.  Trials have no time table.  They don't care if it's January 1st.  I think the key is to really savor the good times while we have them, and to look forward with hope for a better time when things are going bad.  Here's wishing each of you a wonderful year ahead.  These are our lives to make what we will of them.  We are at the helm.

5 comments:

Grannymar said...

Live in the moment, with hope for a tomorrow! May the year ahead hold many surprise blessings!

Rummuser said...

Happy new year to you and your family Delirious.

Max Coutinho said...

My darling,

Happy New Year to you and your marvellous family :D.

See you in 2014.

Cheers

Inklings said...

I have never heard nor sung this hymn. :)

Delirious said...

That is strange Inklings because every ward I've been in has sung this on the last Sunday of the year!