Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Day Off

It seems like the past month I haven't had control of my own time. There has been so much going on, and I have had to help my family with certain tasks or appointments. Today is the first day in a month that I have been able to have a bit of free time, so I'm sort of taking the day off. :)

I have a hobby of handwriting analysis, and there is a trait I have seen in other people's handwriting that shows that they are people who need alone time. As I write this, I realize that I've never looked to see if it is in my own handwriting. But I do think I'm a person who needs a certain amount of alone time. My kids think I'm dull because I don't listen to music when I'm driving in the car. But I really like that time to think. In a small way, that is part of my alone time. Music just distracts me from what I need to think about.

My husband does have the "alone time" characteristic in his handwriting. I had to laugh when he told me last night that one time he left work during lunch and rode his motorcycle to the beach and just laid on the sand and listened to the waves. When he came home that night he never mentioned this. Maybe he was afraid I wouldn't understand. But I do understand, and sometimes I wish I lived closer to the beach so I could do that same thing!

I remember once when we were having dinner with some friends and they asked me to look at their handwriting. I noticed the "alone time" trait in the handwriting of a man who was our dentist. When I made a comment about that, his wife, almost disgustedly, commented that he was always going out to work in the garden when he came home from work. I told her that from what I could see of his handwriting, he needs that! I think it kind of shocked her. Even though he was kind of a quiet man, he didn't disagree with me. Maybe I had more sympathy for him because my own husband has that same trait, and I have seen how important it is for him to get time away from everyone and everything.

I haven't gotten much done today, but I don't have such a black and white view of the world that I feel bad about it. Our week has been so busy that I think my whole family needs a day off. I read an article this week about the importance of listening to your body and what it needs. I think our minds are the same, and that we should listen to our instincts when we are feeling stressed. So I'll be vegging a little today. I"m sure all the work will still be here tomorrow. :)

3 comments:

Nene said...

I've thought about you often during the last month and wondered how busy you were, knowing that you would be. I'm sure it was a good busy though. :0)

Becky said...

It's wonderful having young adult children home, but it does take a lot of energy! Sounds like you're adjusting well. I know I'm looking forward to May when our college students will be home, but I think I'll appreciate the quietness of September as well!

Rummuser said...

I agree. Nothing like goofing off every now and then. I love to.