Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Midlife Crisis

I'm having a midlife crisis, but not the kind you normally think of. My midlife crisis is that everyone thinks I'm old! I'm just getting ready to turn 50, and frankly that isn't that old to me. But here are some things I've heard lately:

--When I was getting my walking boot and crutches when I sprained my ankle, a neighbor boy that lives down the street was also in the room getting a foot brace. The health care worker suggested he push my wheelchair for me so that I didn't have to walk all the way to the car on crutches. The man said, "Help out an elderly woman." The boy's mother said, "Elderly woman?! Now you are in big trouble!" I said, "Oh you have done it now! You have committed the ultimate crime!" We all laughed it off, but "elderly woman"? Really?

--Today I stopped at a thrift store to look for a particular item. When I went to the register to pay, the woman said, "Are you eligible for a senior citizen's discount?" ME? Huh?! Do I LOOK 65?!

Wow that's depressing. Maybe I need to cut my hair or something. I'm not going to dye it, so save your typing fingers. But wow....senior citizen.

4 comments:

Mr. Giggles said...

In some places, the senior discounts start at 55. You're really not that far off. Just sayin'.

Inklings said...

I feel your pain, and I even hear it from our parents! We were asked to chaperone girl' camp and Dad said he couldn't believe they had asked someone as old as us to do that. :0)
PS MY word verification is ubrat - for anyone suggesting you are a senior citizen lol.

Nene said...

Well, my husband and I ARE chaperoning Youth Conference next week! :0)

Delirious, you can join my club...I get that all the time and have gotten it all my life from people who only see my gray hair (now white). They just don't look any farther than that. The people who do look farther and look past my hair think I am younger than I really am. Unfortunately, those comments are few and far between...
Of course, my 6 year old granddaughter asked me if I was 1,000 (yes, one thousand) years old. :0+

Rummuser said...

I often get the opposite response! When I ask for the Senior Citizen discount, I am asked for proof of age despite my bald pate, grey hair and beard!