Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Tribute

This morning my husband and I went to our city memorial day celebration at the cemetary. It was a very moving ceremony! One of the common themes spoken about was that freedom isn't free. For every freedom we enjoy, someone, somewhere, paid the price so that we can enjoy those freedoms now. Those who gave all followed the motto, "Victory at all costs". On this memorial day, I am so very thankful for those who gave all.

A friend of ours played his bagpipes at the service. It is very moving to hear bagpipes when we think of fallen soldiers. My camera battery was dead, so I used my husband's. The pictures aren't the best.























































I love this display that is in memory of those who died in battle.




















Several motorcycle groups that support our veterans rode in a parade to the cemetary. I've never seen so many motorcycles in my life!

















This is an old time motorcycle. This picture isn't the best, but I loved the outfit of the man standing nearby.

















This is an actual living survivor of Pearl Harbor that spoke to us!

















This is a veteran's memorial. I love the phrase engraved at the top:
"On fame's eternal camping ground
Their silent tents are spread,
And glory guards the solemn round
the bivouac of the dead."
















THis is a memorial to the 9/11 victims
















THe service ended with a releasing of doves, and a 21 gun salute by the veteran's organization in our city. It was a moving end!

3 comments:

Nene said...

I think it's cool that your town did this!

Grannymar said...

Our special day is Remembrance Sunday in November. The ceremonies used to be held at the eleventh hour on the eleventh day of the eleventh month- time and date WW1 ended - Now it is held on the nearest Sunday. The weather is often bitterly cold, wet or icy and I suppose similar to the conditions endured by the troops at the time.

Max Coutinho said...

Hey D,

Belated Happy Memorial Day!

Indeed, freedom is never free - this should always be present in our conscience, but it is not always the case.

God Bless the soldiers, and their families, that defend and protect our freedom. May God Light the way of the Fallen Soldiers. Amen!

Cheers