Sunday, November 07, 2010

Experience is the Best Teacher

Today when we got to church, my son realized he had forgotten his tie. To show respect, our deacons are asked to wear a white shirt and tie when helping with the sacrament. My son's Priesthood leader always carries an extra tie in his brief case just for this occasion. If one of the boys forgets their tie, they can borrow his. My son is only 12, and hasn't had much practice tying his own ties over the years. Because church was about to start, I told him to come sit by me and I would help him. Frankly though, I don't have much experience tying ties either. My son was kind of hunched over while I was helping him. Then he got up and went to help with the sacrament. It wasn't until he turned around and was taking the sacrament tray to the congregation that I noticed that his tie was about half as long as it should be! When he was hunched over, I couldn't see where the tie came on him. After the sacrament, my other son helped him tie it to the correct length. I guess he will learn a couple of things from this experience. 1. Always bring your own tie. 2. Learn to tie your own tie. 3. Don't let your mother help you tie your tie. :S

5 comments:

Ramana Rajgopaul said...

My son has got all his ties pre-knotted to avoid this problem. And guess who knotted them in the first place?

Inklings said...

I don't even know how to tie a tie, so my boys were on their own.

Dee Ice Hole said...

Teach him to tie a Windsor knot and then leave them tied.....

Nene said...

One time I was sitting and waiting for church to start and a family came in and sat down in front of us. One of the sons turned around and asked me if I could tie a tie. I kind of looked at his dad and his dad said to me that he'd been trying to teach him but his son wasn't very dilligent in learning and he (the dad) was refusing to tie it anymore. I really didn't know if I should help the kid or not, but he had to hurry so he could go sit up with the deacons to pass the Sacrament. So I tied it as best as I could, but it was not great. Later I thought it was actually funny that the kid was so desperate that he would ask a woman to tie it. (My husband was in the bishopric and sitting on the stand.)

Marla said...

Too funny!