Friday, July 02, 2010

Clay Recipes

So I decided that I wanted to use clay to make the candy ornaments for my gingerbread house. I looked online and found several clay recipes. I decided to try this first one that is a salt clay. I think it turned out pretty good. It was easy to mold, and didn't dry out too quickly. In fact, after I molded some, I decided I made them too big, so remolded them smaller and it worked fine. I do think that the recipe below that has oil in it might work even better. I am interested in the "Dryer lint" clay recipe because I think the lint might bind the clay together better. But I do kind of think I would be choosy and only use white or lighter colored lint. I'll have to see how this Victorian salt clay dries before I decide if I will make more. I mainly wanted to make my own clay instead of buying glass ornaments because I kept thinking about choking hazards. I think if a child put salt clay in their mouth they would spit it out. And I didn't want real candy that might attract bugs or animals. By the way, I tried to use Inkling's recipe that uses white glue and white bread, but I couldn't get it to mix well, so I gave up on it. It was kind of messy for me. Anyway, I'll let you know how this clay works for my decorations.

Victorian Salt Clay
[Gosh, this recipe is so old; I don't even remember where I got it. If anyone knows the source, please let me know so I can give proper credit.]

Cornstarch modeling clays containing salt are the most porous, so are only suitable for craft projects that have a rough or rustic finish.

* 1. Mix 2 cups salt and 2/3 cup water in a pan.
* 2. Mix 1 cup cornstarch and 1/2 cup ice water in a bowl.
* 3. Stirring constantly, heat salt combination over a low flame for about 4 minutes. Do not boil. If you have a gas stove, you may need to use a heat diffuser under the pot to avoid burning the dough.
* 4. Remove from heat. Quickly stir in the cornstarch and water. If mixture is too thin, return to low heat and stir constantly until of clay consistency.
* 5. Store in a cool, dark place.
* 6. Tempura powder or acrylic paints may be used for coloring the dough.

(This Porcelain clay does look really good. I looked at the finished items and they looked good. I might try this next.)
Cold Porcelain Clay

courtesy of Fiona Guagliano

Her creations are both stunning and whimsical and are certain to inspire new craft ideas in you.

[I read somewhere in a Spanish website that authentic cold porcelain clay contains alabaster powder, but no matter, this looks like porcelain to me.]

* 1. Combine in a Teflon-coated pot:

1 cup polyvinyl acetate glue such as Elmer's Glue All
1 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons Vaseline oil (not jelly) - if unavailable where you live, substitute baby oil or pharmaceutical grade mineral oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice.

* 2. Cook on low heat stirring constantly for 10 minutes or until dough forms and begins to come away from the sides. If you have a gas stove, you may need to use a heat diffuser under the pot to avoid burning the dough.
* 3. Remove from heat and allow to cool until you can handle it.
* 4. Knead into a smooth clay consistency.
* 5. Store in a cool, dark place at noted in tips above.
* 6. Tempura powder or acrylic paints may be used for coloring the dough

Dryer Lint Clay
3 cups lint from the dryer
2 cups water
5 drops oil of wintergreen
1 cup flour

Put lint in a 2-quart saucepan and cover with the water and oil of wintergreen. When the lint is saturated, add the flour. Stir until smooth. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the dough forms peaks and holds together. Pour it onto newspaper to cool. Model figures out of cooled dough, or use it to cover a form (balloon, paper bag, etc.). Allow the finished craft to dry about 5 days. Once dry, paint or decorate as desired.

2 comments:

Amber said...

I wonder if this would work to make jewelry with? How does it feel when it's done is it really hard or do you think it would be crumbly after awhile?

Delirious said...

Amber, they did used to make jewelry out of this victorian clay. You have to seal it with some kind of varnish. You can buy it in the paint section of the craft store.