Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Raging Tempest

I was just thinking today of an experience we had in China when our three oldest kids were little. We went to the summer palace and rented a paddle boat so we could go out on the lake. As we were paddling around, we told our kids the Bible story of when Jesus calmed the sea.

We had rented the boat for a specified amount of time, and as our time drew near to take it back, the winds started to pick up. Suddenly we found ourselves with a "tempest" of our own! My husband and I pedaled as hard as we could, but we were hardly even getting anywhere! I know I was saying a few silent prayers because the wind was blowing so hard, I didn't know if we could make it back! We started singing the hymn, "Master the tempest is raging", and as we did, the winds died down enough for us to get back to shore. I think that really made an impact on our kids, and I sure was grateful to get back!

4 comments:

Looney said...

Sounds like a good workout as well as a good story. Was that a pond or a large lake?

Amber said...

what a cool story!

Delirious said...

Looney it is a lake, but I believe it is partially man made.

Ramana Rajgopaul said...

What a story. There are such instances in childhood that leave indelible marks which stand in good stead in adulthood. You have given me an idea for a post about one of my experiences, which I shall post soon.