Thursday, April 15, 2010

You Can Survive

My sister Nene is moving back to the States from Ireland this weekend. I don't want to make her nervous about the trip, but I've been reading a book that gave some tips I wanted to share. The book is called "The Survivors Club" by Ben Sherwood.

Tip 1: Act Quickly!
One of the most important tips the author gave for survival in any situation is to keep your head and don't freeze up. He said there is a psychological phenomenon that happens when people are in an emergency situation. Some people immediately act, but many people freeze up. So, for instance, if there were a plane crash, some people would get out of their seats and head for the exit. But some people would freeze up and just sit waiting for someone else to tell them what to do. They often find people after an accident who were waiting in line to get out of the plane, but who just didn't get out in time. But they also find people who are still sitting in their seats, not even attempting to get out. Research shows that you have about 90 seconds to get out of the airplane before you are overcome by the smoke. It's important to act quickly!

Tip 2: High Survival Rate

The author said that research has also shown that a high percentage of people survive plane crashes. You would think it would be a low number, but it actually is quite high. So if you are in a plane accident, don't panic, you can survive it.

Tip 3: Pay Attention

Some time back I heard that if you sit in a certain section of the plane, your chances of survival are greater. However, research shows that it doesn't matter which section you sit in. The best chance for survival is if you are within 5 rows of an exit. But most important is that you pay attention to the flight attendants when they explain emergency procedures. Studies show that many frequent flyers don't do well in a crash because they think they know everything about emergency procedures, and don't listen to the instructions. New flyers tend to read the card and listen carefully, therefore they usually fare better in a crash. In addition, flight attendants are trained to watch for those who are "able bodied". That includes those who are paying attention, and reading their emergency information card. And you know those crash positions they teach you? They actually do lessen the impact IF you have your seat belt fastened tightly, low on the hip, and your head and arms braced the way they tell you. The seat in front of you is especially designed to take the impact of your body, thereby lessening the impact of the crash.

Tip 4: Have Faith

The other thing that struck me is that those who survive an emergency situation are those who have the will to live, and have faith that they will survive. Many times people just give up, when they actually could have survived if they had tried. So if you find yourself in an emergency situation, don't question IF you will survive, have faith and think about WHEN you survive it.

I'm only part way through this book, but I've already learned so much. Like I said, I'm not trying to scare anyone, but I do think knowledge is power, and wanted to share these tips with you.

6 comments:

Max Coutinho said...

Hey D,

Tip 1: so true. There are people who freeze before tense situations; but thanks God there is always someone who is cold enough to decide.

Tip 2: I think that people know that they are not supposed to panic, but somehow they do: it is as if they couldn't help it.

Tip 3: If God decides that we will survive, we will no matter where we sit inside the plane.

Tip 4: Faith is vital, no doubt.

You did well to share these tips with us, for I too have learned a lot: thanks :D!
And may your sister have a pleasant trip :D!

Cheers

Nene said...

Thanks for the tips. I hope I never have to use them. Wait, maybe I need to print these out and take with me on the plane....especially if we're flying right after volcanic ash has been in the air. :0+ Whenever I get nervous, I have to keep reminding myself to breathe. :0)

Amber said...

those ARE good tips and info - it'll make me pay attention EVERY time the flight attendant gives the instructions - you should read the book The Gift of Fear, it's pretty good and is about surviving stuff and trusting your instincts

Dee Ice Hole said...

I hope you never have to use these Nene---In any emergency number 1 is number 1...

Looney said...

My theory - speaking from experience - is that frequent fliers have a lower survival rate because they are happier to make this the last flight.

I did have an engine go out on one flight as we were flying over Utah. The right wing started wobbling wildly and the captain came out to take a look with a concerned look on his face. The flight attendant got on the intercom and cheerily informed us not to worry: This had happened last week and they put down in Salt Lake City. The wobbles stopped when the plane slowed and we put down in Denver with a parade of emergency vehicles flashing lights all around us.

Inklings said...

It was a sign Looney - Utah is the best place to live. :0)

Delirious, I think it is good to be prepared and know these things, but basically I do not worry. I know my "days are numbered unto the Lord."