Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Lord Provides

Since my son was little, we have planned that he would go on a mission. In our church, we feel it is the duty of Priesthood holders to serve as missionaries. All young men are encouraged to prepare themselves to serve a mission. Young women are also given the opportunity, but because women in the church do not hold the Priesthood, we don't view it as their duty like we do the young men. So since my children were little, we have taught our boys that they should serve missions. As part of my son's planning, he planned to work to save money. When he came home for the summer this year, he was blessed to find a job at my husband's company that paid far more than most minimum wage jobs. It gave him full time work for 3 months. That gave him a huge chunk of his mission money. We felt the Lord was helping him to have the money he needed.

My daughter has been feeling like she would like to serve a mission, but she was very nervous about the money situation. She had some money saved up, but not enough, and was worried that with our helping our son, there wouldn't be enough money for her to serve. I told her not to worry about it, that the Lord would provide. And I myself wasn't worried. I knew that if worst came to worst, I could get a job to help support her mission. But I honestly felt the Lord would help us because I feel He is more concerned about their lives than even we, their parents are.

Today my husband presented my daughter with a small piece of paper. It was a paycheck stub that showed his latest bonus. This is the largest bonus he has ever gotten. He said, "Here is the money for your mission.". I looked at her and said, "Didn't I tell you the Lord always provides?". Not only that, but my husband will be getting a raise. What is most amazing to me about this is that I see the economy, and I see my friends struggling to make ends meet. I know these are difficult times. But out of the blue, my husband received a large bonus that will take care of our needs. Maybe only those who believe in God will understand, but I know that this was a direct blessing from God. "And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments." Doctrine and Covenants 59:21

5 comments:

Nene said...

Wow! It really makes you feel that the Lord knows you and your needs. Also that your kids are doing the right thing.

Inklings said...

That's great and it doesn't surprise me in the least. :0)I baby sat 2 little girls to get the money to pay Dr. Psycho's mission, and on the months when it wasn't enough, the money came to us in surprising ways, but it always came.

Amber said...

that is so awesome, what a faith building experience! thank you for sharing this! :)

Lindsay Logic said...

I wish I had your faith. While I know that the Lord provides, sometimes it's still a scary thing!

Fromagette said...

How wonderful! And good luck to your daughter. A mission is a wonderful thing.