Tuesday, December 29, 2009

CAPTCHAS


I'm not a very technical person, so I hope I can explain myself well in this post. My husband and I saw this program about word verifications. The official term for these is "CAPTCHA" or, according to Wikipedia, "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart". So when you type in that little verification code, you are proving that a human is making the comment, instead of a computer spamming the comment box.

One very intelligent man thought about this idea quite a bit. As he thought about how we all type in those word verification codes, he began to think about how they could be adapted so that all of that human effort wouldn't go to waste. He realized that by using word verifications, or Captchas, he could "teach" computers to recognize other fonts. So when you type in a word verification that shows a different font, you are telling the computer what those characters represent. Well, that is my unintelligent, uneducated version of the process anyway. lol

This report that we saw made me really think about how shallowly we think on a day to day basis. There are probably other similar problems that could be solved if someone took the time to really think about them. Maybe it takes a higher IQ, which I don't have, but I do think that even I could use my brain to a deeper extent than I do on a normal basis. Either way, I do appreciate the effort more now when I type in those word verifications!

2 comments:

Nene said...

I think the more you think about something, the more you understand it. For instance: Someone might say that they could never write a book. But if you actually took the time to sit down and think about it and come up with a plot, etc, etc - then you can do it! I think we can do about anything we set our minds to. It's just that some people take the time to actually think about something, and so they are the ones who accomplish the thing. Too many people think ideas will just fall out of the sky. It would be nice if they did, and maybe sometimes they do, but the real ideas come with someone contemplating it. Does this make any sense? :0+

Anonymous said...

It has been estimated that the average human only uses about 10%of his or her brain capacity, look at it this way, if we could just increase our mental capacity by just 1% that would make us such intellegent people that we would be in the upper .000001%of the world smartest people. Just think, there are 3,500,000 people in the USA, and to think of the genious people in the USA compared to India, with their over a billion, then the percentage of genious people in india are greater than the total population of the USA....scarry hun?