Monday, November 16, 2009

Who Let the Dogs Out? ♪♫

Last week I was sick for most of the week, so only walked the dog on Monday and Tuesday. I think some dogs are perfectly content to lay around without every leaving the house, but my dog has so much energy, and gets frustrated if she doesn't get exercised regularly. I planned to take her for a walk this morning, but ended up going with a friend to visit a friend who moved away. My dog about went crazy when, for the 7th day in a row, I didn't take her for a walk. Every night the people in our housing development meet at the school yard to let their dogs play together. I don't usually go because it's right during the time when I make dinner, but tonight I put dinner in the oven, and took the dog down to play.

I think there were about 15 dogs there tonight! Sally ran and played the entire time. It's so fun to watch the dogs enjoying chasing each other. I think it's really healthy for them to socialize this way.

My only problem came when it became dark out. All of the other owners leashed up their dogs and walked home. But my stubborn terrier wouldn't come when I called. I think she probably thought she was going to be cooped up for another week, so she ran to her heart's content. Just when I thought I could get her on leash, a few swallows came swooping through the field chirping at and dodging the dogs. Sally ran around and around chasing the swallows. At first I was happy, thinking that it was good exercise for her. But as it got darker and darker, I realized I was going to have a hard time getting her back on leash. Just when I was getting really frustrated, it occurred to me that she might come if I offered her some water from the fountain. (don't gross out, but all of the dogs drink out of the fountain. Just remember that dogs' slobber is cleaner than humans' ) She came running over, but was so tired she couldn't even stand up to get a drink. Finally I was able to get her back on leash.

After we ate dinner tonight we were sitting around talking when my husband said, "Oh, by the way, when I came home tonight, I noticed the side gate opened." What????? Why did he wait a half hour to tell me that!? I got in the car and drove around the block looking for my dog. Luckily I found her not too far away. Is this the payback for not walking her all week? :)

2 comments:

Amber said...

lol poor Sally, it sounds like she had a great time, I'm glad you were able to find her and she didn't get lost!

Max Coutinho said...

LOL LOL Sally sought revenge!

"Thou shall not keep your dog indoors for a week" (she thought to herself) lol lol...

D, I am looking at the cookies on your sidebar...why do you tempt us like this? Not fair LOL ;)...
They look delicious...

Cheers