Sunday, November 08, 2009

When it Rains it Pours

Just as a follow up to my last post: I didn't mention that my husband was asked to sing a solo in church this morning, and I'm accompanying him. We have had to practice all week to get ready for today. I'm not that confident on the piano part, but don't have time to make it any better.

Also, I just got a call asking me to play the piano for Primary (the children's meeting). I told them I'm teaching the third hour, so they asked if I could play the second hour. There aren't that many people in the Ward who play the piano, so it's not like they can ask just anyone.

The last thing is something I volunteered for. Every year, at the end of our DUP (Daughters of the Utah Pioneers) year, (we end in May) we have sign ups for the following year. We sign up if we are willing to give the lesson, or a ancestor history, a museum moment, or host it at our house. I signed up to give the ancestor history tomorrow. I am giving a history of my great, great, great grandfather on my mother's side. He was a very interesting person. He was a coroner, body guard to Joseph Smith, a drum major in a martial band (one of his loves), an indian interpreter for the US government, and for church leaders, a blacksmith and tinker, a member of the Mormon Battallion, and he was even arrested with the Prophet Joseph Smith. (they were discharged after examination) I think my brothers inherited his genes. :)

As I think about all I have to do in the next 48 hours, I am reminded of something I learned in a class at BYU. Because I had gotten a bad grade in a class at University of Kentucky, I was requested to take a class on study habits at BYU. In this class we were asked to read an article by a Rhodes scholar, and valdictorian at BYU. He said that the one thing that he learned during his time in college is that "busy people do more things better". When we have a lot to do, we organize our time better, and we focus our energies. We will see if that proves true today. :)

3 comments:

Nene said...

Type up your notes from your DUP talk and email them to us. :o)

I got asked after church on Sunday to play for the Primary Sacrament Meeting program that is next week. Don't know what happened to their pianist. :0)

Dee Ice Hole said...

So how did it go? I'll bet it went well.

Delirious said...

My husband's singing went well, my playing not so well. My lesson went okay, but it sure was hard to get participation from the class because there weren't many people there, and that made everyone more timid. Either that or I scare them. ;) I still have one more thing to do today...