Friday, October 02, 2009

California State Capitol Building

Last weekend we took my son to the capitol building in Sacramento to fill one of his merit badge requirements. We took a tour of the building. This is a picture of a stained glass window that shows the seal of California. According to the guide, this woman in the seal is the Roman Goddess Minerva. I can't remember the details, but her father had a headache and suddenly she was born from his head. Her depiction is used in the seal because California was a part of Mexica, and wasn't a US Territory. Then suddenly California was made a state, in the same way that Minerva was suddenly born. Okay, I hope that makes sense, I didn't tell it as good as the guide did.

















This is a picture of inside of the dome. I think it is beautiful, and I love all of the small filligree details.



















This is a painting of George Washington. There was also one of Lincoln, but my pictures didn't turn out well.



















Here is a picture of my husband and son in front of the "Governator's Office" Wouldn't you know that when my camera battery is full, I DON'T see Gov. Shwarzenneger? The bear is our state animal.

3 comments:

Becky said...

I remember doing that for a merit badge! Looks like a fun trip.

Looney said...

I thought the bear was the symbol of the state economy?!

For those of us who have seen everything in California, is this worth a trip?

Delirious said...

I think it is worth seeing once, if you do the tour. It is a beautiful building.

There are other things nearby that you could also see and do. The Stanford house is nearby. Also the Hard Rock Cafe is only a couple of blocks away.