Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Airedale Mania

I was walking my dog down a main thoroughfare today and saw a car pass by me, screech to a halt, then drive away. It then turned around and the woman driving slowed down as she approached me and asked, "An Airedale? I have an Airedale too!". She then pulled over her car and got out to come see my dog. She gave me her business card and asked me to call her so that we could set up a "play date" for our dogs. lol

I have to say that the one thing that struck me was when she said, "I love terriers!". I too, love terriers of all kinds. I have to admit that there are some terriers I wouldn't want to own. Vets often joke about how they should be called "Terrors" instead of "Terriers". But I do love terriers, and I'm not even sure why. But it was really cool to meet someone who understands that love. We both say we love them, and we both understand why, even if we ourselves can't put it in to words.

She asked me, "Do you strip her or clip her?" I replied, "She's not a show dog, I just clip her.". Stripping is when they actually pull certain hairs from the dog. I still don't quite understand why, I think it has something to do with how it makes the rest of the hair lay down. But I don't have the patience to sit and pull individual hairs from my dog. But recently I bought a set of pet clippers and I am going to try grooming her myself. I have a plan for what I want, but I do need to watch the accompanying DVD to learn any tricks I might need to know. Wish me luck...this is going to be an interesting attempt. lol

3 comments:

Native Minnow said...

I say you go for this look

Nene said...

Be sure and post pictures, but please don't go with Minnow's look -it's kind of gross!

Dee Ice Hole said...

Before you start - take a shoe lace (a long one) and wrap it around her mouth and do a half tie like when you start to tie your shoes, wrap it around her mouth again and do the same thing - then take it to the back of her head and tie it in a bow. That way she can't bite you when you cut her on the flanks with your brand new clippers. I am very happy I learned how to do this very cheap muzzle from our vet.