Tuesday, February 24, 2009

California State Supreme Court to Hear Arguments on Constitutionality of Prop 8


















The California Supreme Court will hold a hearing on March 5th to hear arguments about Prop.8. The time and location of the hearing is: Thursday, March 5th, 2009 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. in Supreme Court Courtroom, Earl Warren Center, Fourth Floor, 350 McAllister Street, San Francisco. There is limited seating, but there will be an overflow room located at: the Milton Marks Conference Center, Hiram J. Smith State Office Building, Lower Level, 455 Golden Gate Avenue, San Francisco.

I have to admit that I'm a little nervous about attending this one, and still haven't decided if I will. My main concern is the hatred and bigotry showed by opponents of Prop. 8. If I wear yellow, to show my support of Prop. 8, I will be a target of these crazed groups. I wish they could change the venue. If this were a high profile court case of a murderer, for example, they might change the venue to protect him from mobs. I feel the same holds for this issue being heard in courts in San Francisco.

In some ways I feel like we have already lost. We have so many activist judges, who don't care as much about democracy as about their own pet causes. In addition, the fact that they live and work in San Francisco probably makes them biased against Prop. 8. I just pray that our side has good defense.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I will attend. I'll let you know when I decide.

No comments: