Wednesday, November 05, 2008

In to Every Life a Little Rain Must Fall

I just got word today that my mother has breast cancer. Fortunately, this is highly treatable because it is in the first stages. I called my parents to ask more details. My mother said that the doctor told her she has two options. She can have radiation, or she can have a mastectomy. He said, "Of course with the mastectomy you will be flat afterwards." She said, "Oh, I don't care, I've been flat all my life". That's my mother...she's a tough cookie. She chose the mastectomy because she has known people who have had radiation and knows how difficult it is. I really think she has made a wise decision. They will remove the breast, as well as the lymph node under her arm. She doesn't care about having a breast missing, she cares about being healthy and not having to worry about it reocurring. I think attitude does play a big part in recovery, and my mother is a strong person. She is about 83 years old, and can still climb fences and appears more like a woman 10 years younger. She isn't afraid of death, but she has faith that this treatment will work. I have faith too, and of course I will pray for her.

3 comments:

JJJ said...

Good choice for her, my wifes mothers returned after all the chemical theropy and she ended up having it removed as well, all though after all the other stuff, least your mother was confident enough to go thru with the wiser choice.
I Wish her luck.

PsychDoctor said...

She will be fine...she has a great attitude and that is half the battle...

Inklings said...

Even if it all turns out fine cancer-wise, I hate for her to have to go through all this and through the recovery period. I worry about Dad, too, he can't even drive anywhere except in town. You are right though, we will pray and have faith. That's one thing I am good at, anyway!