Saturday, June 28, 2008

There, But for the Grace of God Go I

Yesterday morning after I got out of the shower, I heard a siren that sounded very close to my house. I opened the bathroom window that faces the street, and could see flames leaping out of the top of a house in the court nearby. There were already several fire engines and police cars there. Because I was still in a towel, I called out the window to my son and asked him to go take some pictures. He thought I was stupid for standing in the window in a towel, :) and was too embarassed to take pictures for me, so I don't have a picture to share with you. I did get dressed and go out to observe for myself, but in my hurry, I didn't stop to go get my camera. All of us neighbors stood around with teary eyes watching this house burn. The whole upstairs was gutted. The young adult son had been sleeping upstairs, and his young teenage sister had been downstairs using the computer when someone phoned to tell them their house was on fire. So luckily, they were able to get out and no one was hurt in the fire. Another blessing for them is that their grandmother lives just a few houses away, so they had someplace to go.

We ended up having 6 fire engines respond to this call, and at least 3 police cars. If they had even been a few minutes slower in responding, I think the whole house would have gone up in flames. As it is, I'm sure there is extensive smoke damage throughout the part that didn't burn...it's a total loss. There, but for the grace of God go I. (original quote by John Bradford)

No comments: