Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Today's Most Embarassing Moment

It's hard for me to find clothes I like, much less ones that fit me right. Today I decided to do a little shopping, and happened to see a couple of dresses I liked. The first one I tried on had a sort of lining to it. It didn't have a zipper, but was intended to slip on over your head. It was a little bit difficult to slip on, but I got it on okay. It fit okay, but it looked bad on me, so I decided to try the next one on. The only problem was that I couldn't get the first one off. Now, I consider myself pretty independent, and somewhat dextrous, but for the life of me I couldn't get that dress off! I thought if I was just determined enough, I would be able to get it off, but it wouldn't budge. I was starting to feel a little claustrophobic at this point. I pulled the dress back down on me and took a breather. Then I tried again to get it off. No luck. I realized I was in a predicament because I didn't want to tear the dress.

I finally decided that I needed help. I had heard this woman and her daughter in the dressing stall next to mine. They were talking about what they could do to get her nominated for "What Not to Wear". They talked about messing up her hair, and only filming her when she was wearing her grubbies.

I went out of my dressing room and saw the daughter coming out to go get some more clothes. I asked her if her mother was dressed, and she said yes. I asked the Mom if she could come help me. She came in to my dressing stall with me and the two of us worked and worked to get the dress off. She had to actually pull the lining up over my shoulders because that was what was getting stuck. It was sort of embarassing in front of a total stranger, but I know I couldn't have done it by myself.

Of course, then Murphy's law came in to effect. After I got dressed and went out of the dressing room, I saw a friend of mine who had some clothes she was just going to go try on. If I had waited even 5 minutes, I could have asked her to help me instead of a stranger.

This reminds me of a story my mother told me. In the town where she grew up, the girls decided to go skinny dipping in the river. But some boys came along and grabbed their clothes. All of the girls went screaming and running for home.....all except one that is. She just put her head in the bushes and no one ever knew who she was. :)

3 comments:

JJJ said...

oh no, you've reached the I CANT DRESS MYSELF AGE. only thing left is the home. :) funny story

Delirious said...

Thanks Jim, I feel SOOOOO much better. :P

Inklings said...

That's a small town where people gossip, so probably the whole county knew who she was because of the other girls. :0)