Sunday, January 13, 2008
Color My World
Okay, ignore the fact that I need a haircut, and the wind has blown, it. I posted this pic as an illustration for my post. I'm getting older (every day) and my hair is quickly graying. Up to now I have never dyed my hair. Sometimes I watch makeover shows and I see how much gray hair ages a person, and it makes me think that maybe I should dye mine too. But here are my reasons for not doing it up to now.
1. Cost. If I go to a beautician to color it, it will be very expensive. I have one child in college, and one headed there soon, I can't afford those kind of luxuries.
2. Color. If I try to dye it myself with over the counter products, I'm worried I will get a color that will make me look like a corpse.
3. Continuation. Once you start, you can't stop without looking weird for a few months. I'm not sure I'm ready for that long term committment.
4. Courage. I knew a woman once who didn't dye her hair. It gave me courage that I didn't have to either. I felt like "Yes! This is the way nature intended! We can go gray and it's okay!". Then suddenly I saw her one day and she had dyed her hair. I have to admit, that made me feel more alone. Maybe I can be that support group for someone else.
5. Accomplishment. I have played an online pirate game. In the game if your ship gets sunk in a blockade, you can actually get a wound and wind up with a peg leg or hook for an arm, or an eye patch. Some people might think that ghastly, but most people who get an injury on the game look at it as a trophy. In some weird way, I feel kind of like my gray is a trophy. I earned every gray hair on my head.
Well, those are my reasons for not doing it, but it still doesn't make me look any better. I don't know that there is a reason to do it that would persuade me to overcome the reasons why I don't. I guess I will have to feel pretty ugly before I can ignore the all of these reasons.