Saturday, January 19, 2008

Body Worlds 2

Today my husband and I decided to take our youngest son out to do something fun. Our other children were busy with other activities. My husband had heard on the radio about an exhibit in San Jose called "Body Worlds 2". We decided to go check it out. I wasn't prepared for what I saw, and I'm still wondering about whether or not is is "ethical". But I have to say that it was pretty amazing. (although I'm hoping I don't have nightmares. ;)

I thought this would be an exhibit telling about how the human body functions. Instead, I found it was an anatomy exhibit of real human bodies. Through a "plastination" process, they were able to preserve these bodies so that they could display the muscles, bones, tendons, ligaments, and nerves independent of each other. It was a little unnerving to see muscular forms posed in such actions as ice skating, skate boarding, dancing, and doing gymnastics, but when I thought about the alternative; stiff corpses standing at attention, I realized the benefit to displaying them in real action poses. Here are a few pictures to show you a little of what we saw. (p.s. although our youngest wasn't fond of this display, we did spend a good long time in the Tech museum, so he had fun in the long run. :)



1 comment:

Unknown said...

yup seen it on tv, missed it when it was near me. the first body that was done like that i beleive was a prisoner sentenced to death that left his body for scientific study, i know the orginal use of this was to preserve almost perfect bodies in order for medical teaching and learning, later he adopted it towards art/learning, i think he has a guy on a horse real horse real guy done with that plastic stuff.