Sunday, July 08, 2007















I saw an old friend recently, and she asked, "Do you know how to make apricot jam?" I told her I did, so she handed me a big bag of fruit. I haven't made jam in probably 10 years. I used to make grape jelly every summer when we lived in Provo, but just haven't done it since.

I sorted and washed the fruit and started preparing it to make the jam. I was pitting it and was half way through the bag of fruit when it suddenly occurred to me that these apricots were small PEACHES! The whole time I was working with them I kept thinking the color was off, but attributed it to them being too green. I don't know what was going through my brain. I guess because she told me they were apricots, I never really thought about it.

I only had quart jars, but my family can eat up a large jar fairly quickly. I only got 4 quarts from that amount of fruit. I have to admit though, even though there are only four quarts, it is a good feeling to see them lined up on the counter.

I have a Granny Smith apple tree. I have put up apples, and applesauce before. I think this year I will do apple jelly. :)

No comments: