I posted my last post because I heard that quote in church and really liked it. But an issue was raised about this; someone felt it was pointed toward them. I don't know if I can explain what I had in mind, but here are some thoughts I have about forgiveness. Feel free to leave comments.
1. Forgiveness doesn't mean you ignore the offense and pretend it didn't happen.
2. Forgiveness doesn't mean you put yourself back in a situation to be hurt again.
3. Forgiveness doesn't mean condoning what the person did.
4. Forgiveness doesn't mean forgetting what happened....that's impossible anyway.
5. Forgiveness does mean letting it go,...not letting it eat you alive.
6. Forgiveness means turning it over to God.
7. Forgiveness means not trying to hurt them as much as they hurt you, but leaving judgement and justice up to our justice system, and to God.
8. Forgiveness means forgiving yourself...you didn't ask for it, you aren't the one responsible for the hurt.
9. Forgiveness also includes understanding that many people in this world are damaged, and that is what leads them to hurt others. It doesn't make it right, but it helps to make sense of the insanity.
10. Forgiveness includes forgiving God for allowing bad things to happen.