Monday, January 08, 2007

Weaning

I've been trying to wean myself off Christmas today. It's already the second week of January, and I still haven't taken down my decorations. Granted, I was sick for a week, and didn't do much of anything for that week, but I don't think I would have taken down my decorations even if I felt good. It's hard to see Christmas go.

Tonight I took the ornaments off the tree, and my husband and son took it to the drop off station. I have alot of ornaments that have sentimental value. Some are ones my children have made throughout the years. Some are ones I bought for my children so that when they leave home, they will have a set to take with them. The tree is the easiest thing to part with after Christmas.

Now comes the hardest part for me. I have to start packing up my nativities and put them away. If I were rich, and had beautiful cabinets to display them in, I might consider leaving them up year round. A friend of mine collects miniature houses. She has quite a collection, and runs an electric train through the tiny village she creates. She is getting older now, so built special shelves on one wall and set up her village permanent there. But I'm not rich, and I don't have a place to hang shelves, so I will be good and pack all my wonderful nativities up until next year.

I'm trying to wean myself a little at a time. First the tree and ornaments from it....maybe next the outside lights. I think I'll save the nativities for last. Oh wait, no.....I think I'll leave up my string of cards from family and friends. Those mean alot to me, I want to enjoy them a little longer. I can't wean myself all at once, right?

No comments: