Monday, January 22, 2007

Heredity

When I look at my kids, I see a slight resemblance to myself. I don't think they look alot like me, but I do sometimes see family resemblance in them. Same goes for my husband, none of them really looks like him, but there are similarities. There is one exception however. My youngest doesn't look my husband persay, but he has the same body build. He also has the same type and color of hair. But it goes beyond that. He also has some of the same likes and dislikes. Some people could say that was learned. But lately I have noticed a similar trait that couldn't have been learned. My husband has a habit, but I only see him do this when he is working and calculating in his head. So he wouldn't do this at home, only at work. Ever since I first met my husband I noticed he has calluses on his thumb knuckles from chewing on them while he thinks. Okay, that may sound weird, but we all have something we do like that, whether it is twirling our hair, or biting our nails or whatever. Yesterday we were sitting in church and I looked down and noticed my youngest son has calluses on his thumb knuckles. I know there are arguments about nature versus nuture, but in this case, I know this was inherited. It will be interesting as he grows up to see if there are any other similar traits that he has inherited.

2 comments:

deputymomof6 said...

I have always hoped and prayed that my kids don't look or ACT like me!! LOL I want a LOT better for them.

Anonymous said...

It is inherited, because my son does things that his grandfather did, and his grandfather died 31 years ago...when my son's dad was only 3. He also gets facial expressions that look like people on his dad's side...
My daughter sucks on her finger, just like her Dad did. ;) I think some traits are inherited and some are learned.