Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Old Home


This is the home my mother grew up in. I don't know if this picture adequately shows just how small it is. Suffice it to say, my living room if bigger than this whole house. My grandparents raised 5 children in this house. They eventually built a new house and had another child there. My mother and her sisters slept up in the attic of this house. They had to climb a ladder on the outside of the house to get to it. They would also take the old dog with them to keep them warm. It wasn't unusual for there to be frost on their blankets in the morning. This house stands not too far from where my parents live now. Sadly, the lot is up for sale, so the old house will probably be torn down. It is a piece of history that is testament that people of strong spirit thrive even under less than desirable conditions.

No comments: