Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Riches?



I've come to visit my parents who live in the same little home my grandmother lived in most of her life. When she lived in it, it wasn't painted on the outside, and many of the things inside weren't finished. After my parents came to live here, they fixed up the home; painted, put in new flooring, added a bathroom etc. Many of us have always felt bad that my grandmother never saw the house this nice.
My grandmother lived a very humble life and never had many worldly riches. Even when she was given nice things, she preferred to wear out her old things first. She was humble in every sense of the word.
Coming back to this little home has given me new perspective. As I step out on her front porch, I get a view of spectacular pink mountains. I'm not sure if I can describe what these mountains have meant to me throughout my life, but in a word, they mean home. The older I get, the more I appreciate their beauty, and wonder at how I could ever take them for granted as a child.
My grandmother didn't have worldy riches, but she was blessed with some of the greatest riches of the earth right in her own back yard.

1 comment:

PsychDoctor said...

When I was in Baixa da Banheira Portugal, in my second area, and feeling very homesick, I ran into some young children who had known the Elders in the past. They brought me a picture of the pink mountains near Hatch and gave it to me...It was neat to see something so familiar, in a lonely city so far away from home.